Here are my personal favorites when it comes to Scripture—ones I feel are worthy of memorization, if one feels so inclined.
- Psalm 100—represents our coming in the presence of the Lord with joyful hearts, and worshiping with God’s people
- John 1:1-14—outlines the purpose for our Savior’s entrance into our world; He was in the beginning, but He came and dwelt among us
- Isaiah 53—unfolds the sacrifice Jesus made for us; He came humbly to the altar as the Lamb slain for the sins of the world; an antidote for our pride
- Psalm 51—David’s famous prayer of repentance for his sin involving Bathsheba; illustrates what God’s healing grace does for us
- Exodus 20:3-17—after repenting, we must come to a full understanding of God’s character and the expectations He has for our behavior; we can’t know Him without having a knowledge of His Ten Commandment Law
- Ephesians 6:10-18—when we know His Law, these verses show us how to keep them; how to clothe ourselves with the armor of God; only through Him can they be kept
- Matthew 5:1-12—Jesus’ introduction of His Sermon on the Mount, called the Beatitudes, sums up the kind of loving character we must form in order to be a part of His kingdom
- I Corinthians 13—Paul’s essay on loving others, which shows us how to love; best description of love and very important since God IS love
- Psalm 23, 91 and Psalm 121—these famous words give us courage to face our trials; they assure us that God always delivers
- Revelation 14:6-12—the three angels’ messages are God’s last call to be given by the remnant of His people still on earth just before Jesus comes in the clouds to take us home with Him
What passages would you add to this list?