Park Hill Adventist Church was named the 2017 Church of the Year by the Colorado Gospel Music Academy & Hall of Fame in recognition of the church’s sustained distinguished community service and spiritual contribution to Colorado. The award was presented at the 47th Annual Colorado Gospel Music Academy & Hall of Fame Awards Celebration at New Hope Baptist Church on Feb. 11.
The Colorado Gospel Music Academy & Hall of Fame was founded to recognize accomplishments and contributions of individuals and organizations that have been true soldiers and faithful community servants in Colorado.
The ministries and accomplishments of the Denver Park Hill Church in 2017, which factored into the committee’s selection, include:
- Back to School tutorial preparation boot camp for middle schoolers, and pre-SAT tutoring hosted by children’s ministry and Cherelyn Napue’s Club Z
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Interfaith Celebration
- Barbershop health screenings for African American men and families
- Community discussions around biased policing and the Denver Police Department use of force policy
- Organizing and hosting the first ever Park Hill Interfaith Community Fest, uniting Christian, Islamic and Jewish faiths to promote community unity, economic empowerment and holistic health
- Weekly food and clothing distribution for low-
- Activating two Safe Haven initiatives that provided spiritual and emotional support for Park Hill after two tragic gun violence episodes
- Domestic violence awareness vigil at the City and County building
- Joining as members and providing leadership for the Youth Violence Prevention Center-Denver Key Leader Advisory Board
- Supporting initiatives for reform in the Denver Police Department data collection, jail overcrowding, addressing effects of Denver’s gentrification and other activities to improve Park Hill