Many times I believe my fear is because ultimately I am not convinced God is hearing me. This is a common feeling, but God does hear us. “You drew near on the day I called on You, and said, ‘Do not fear!’” Lamentations 3:57 NKJV We can be assured that God does hear our cries. (See also Genesis 21:17 and 26:24)
Not only does he hear our cries but He promises to be present always. “Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’” Isaiah 41:10 NKJV Multiple times we are told God is with us—see below for some examples:
- And the Lord appeared to him the same night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you and multiply your descendants for My servant Abraham’s sake.” Genesis 26:24
- Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6
- And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31:8
- And David said to his son Solomon, “Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God—my God—will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord…” 1 Chronicles 28:20
- You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you, O Judah and Jerusalem!’ Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them, for the Lord is with you.” 2 Chronicles 20:17
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. Psalms 23:4
- The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? Psalms 118:4
- For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’ Isaiah 41:13
- Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your descendants from the east, And gather you from the west… Isaiah 43:5
- But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. Matthew 8:26
Do I need to fear if God is with me?
Meditate on these verses. Are you ever afraid because you do not believe God is listening? Do you have a valid reason to think He is not after reading these verses?
Sometimes I feel like all these verses are just words. How do I make this meaningful in my life? We will talk about practical ways to apply this knowledge in an upcoming segment soon.
Have you ever felt you were too unimportant for God to care about? Next week we will look at how this belief can cause us worry and how much worth God sees in us.